Environmental Policy Statement
We recognise that our business activities may have environmental implications and we therefore follow a policy designed to minimise environmental impact and damage. Our operations will be managed and organised so as to minimise so far as is reasonably practicable environmental damage caused by noise, dust and damage to groundwater and drainage systems. In pursuance of this policy, environmental considerations will be taken into account in tendering.
Friday, 03 April 2010
Environmental Policy Arrangements
1. We will implement measures to help the business and its employees to use ‘green transport’, for example, providing facilities for cyclists, encouraging car sharing, and encouraging the use of public transport by providing information on local routes. All company vehicles to be maintained and serviced to reduce carbon emissions. All travel to and between places of work will be by the shortest and quickest route.
2. We will dispose of all waste in a responsible manner, ensuring that we always comply with the Duty of Care Regulations. Any services used for the storage or disposal of waste will be checked to ensure that appropriate licences are held.
3. We will attempt to reduce or eliminate the use of ozone depleting chemicals (CFC, Halon, 1.1.1 Trichloroethane, HCFC), tropical hardwood from forests which have not been independently certified as sustainable, pesticides on the U.K. ‘red list’ or EC ‘black list, and peat for soil amelioration purposes.
4. We will try, where possible, to use suppliers who are willing to take away packaging for re-use or recycling and will consider the environmental impact of any purchases.
5. We will try to reduce the energy and water consumption of the business and minimise CO2 emissions. We will invest in the improved energy efficiency of products we use and investigate environmentally safe and sustainable energy sources.
6. We will ensure that dust, noise and odour do not cause a nuisance to the community surrounding the place of business or site on which we are working.
7. We will try to reduce waste production and carry out recycling as much as possible
8. In the office environment, paper will be used sensibly, with measures to re-use and recycle waste paper, and the increased use of electronic communication to reduce the need for paper use.
9. We will ensure that no polluting matter enters surface waters or groundwater, will obtain permission before discharging any contaminated water, and before commencing any works we will check the area for endangered species, protected plant species, trees subject to a Tree Preservation Order, and protected archaeology.
10. We will try to use sub-contractors and suppliers who comply with the requirements of our environmental management policy, and will help sub-contractors and suppliers to comply with environmental laws and regulations as much as possible.